Re: Enabling uscan to simply remove files from upstream source

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 01:03:03PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > So would be nice to check that the implementation properly includes all
> > of the following items:
> >
> > Format:
> >  http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
> > Source: http://susy.oddbird.net/
> >   Repackaged, excluding non-DFSG licensed fonts and source-less
> >   JavaScript
> > Files-Excluded:
> >   docs/source/javascripts/jquery-1.7.1.min.js
> >   docs/source/javascripts/modernizr-2.5.3.min.js
> > Files-Excluded-comment: Exlude source-less JavaScript
> > Files-Excluded: foo/bar
> >   docs/source/fonts/*
> >   baz
> >   boom/boom/
> > Files-Excluded-comment: Exlude non-DFSG licensed fonts and more
> >  Just for demonstration purpose, this paragraph has multiple
> >  lines.
>
> Hi all,
>
> a paragraph must not contain multiple instances of the same field.

I can confirm that I tried this yesterday and it really fails (just
forgot to report this here).

> Perhaps
> the example above suggests that the Files-Excluded field is not well suited
> for the header paragraph ?

Hmmm, even if the suggestion for a commenting feature for single entries
is a bit spoiled technically - logically I would expect this information
somehow in the header.

> I also think that the current proposal would be a good opportunity to transfer
> the information about source location and excluded files in a separate file
> that would be parsed by uscan and others, and which format would be easier than
> debian/watch.

I guess you mean your DEP12 proposal, right?[1]

I admit this alternative came to my mind yesterday once Ian had trouble
with debian/copyright but later he has withdrawn his objection and I had
not seen any need to bring in this idea any more.

>From my perspective the debian/copyright file is the ideal file because:

  1. Content wise the information is license / DFSG related and it
     is a close to perfect way to document the removal here inside
     the copyright file.
  2. Technically it is perfectly possible (see #685787).
  3. The unability to comment every single exclusion in the current
     form is not as important enough (to me) to seek actively for
     a different solution (even if I made some similar comments in
     some get-orig-source scripts)

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/06/msg00164.html