Re: can we (fully) release-goal decommissioning of trolls

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:38:07PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
It seems the "desired" scenario for NM is that /e/n/i is empty
Yes. This is actually what happens on usual setups (one interface, DHCP
without any special options) upon NM installation.

Well, until some weeks ago I never had a desktop system (even at work) with DHCP, simply because the Linux system are developer systems with different VLAN interfaces. At home my systems have static IPs as well.

“wonderful” ifupdown… I guess some of us around here have other words to
describe it.

Maybe. For me NM was always a PITA, I always got better results with ifupdown. It is not perfect, certainly, but it works very well for me.

10 years ago, we had people complaining about ORBit. Then later they
complained about D-Bus and pmount. Recently it was about PulseAudio. Now

Well, Pulseaudio has its problems (you can ask the MythTV guys what they think of it). It never really worked for me with MythTV. And if you only have one audio device, chances are high that you don’t need it anyway.

they don’t want to see their precious 30-year-old systemv and ifconfig
crap replaced.

Well, if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it. There seem to be enough people who don’t have any problems with your „systemv and ifconfig crap”, no matter how old. And they are not interested in getting new buggy software for the core system by force. So if you think, you need something new, fine, make it. But don’t break other people’s setup.

These people are the disease. They are toxic to the community and tend

Why, thank you. I think that these people are a disease who are always trying to drag down Linux to Windows level and are forcing their software crap on others, because they think it is so good that every one has to use it. And I would wish those people would go away to Windows. There they can play with shiny new software which doesn’t really work.

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |
| Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/keys.html |