Re: can we (fully) fix/integrate NetworkManager (preferred) or release-goal its decommissioning

Hi Marco.

On Sun, 2012-08-19 at 19:41 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> NM, as a design goal, is not supposed to be able to manage every
> possible configuration.
Well but then it shouldn't be kind of a default package. And yes, I
know, strictly speaking it's neither required nor essential.
But as I mentioned before, more and more uses it... and one usually
get's it already with gnome-core.

After all, isn't Debian the "Universal Operating System" ... or is it
the "works with only one scenario OS" ;-)

And to be honest, I don't think that it's impossible that NM would
integrate well with ifupdown (and the others).
Don't take it personal (and I guess neither should even the NM
developers)... but saying "it's not intended to such complex stuff"
sounds sometimes like an excuse.

> > Or will we just mothball ifupdown silently and slowly (as it's replaced
> > by NM).
> As explained, NM is not a general ifupdown replacement.
Ok,... but e.g. on a laptop it's very useful (easily selecting any
wireless networks and such)... but as I outlaid above it more or less
breaks ifupdown and doesn't work quite well with some others... so if I
not only want to go online with my laptop, but do a little more,... I'm
already screwed.

Cheers,
Chris.