Re: Possible release note for systems running PHP through CGI.

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> In summary:

>  - PHP scripts can be executed by Apache httpd through libapache2-mod-php5 or
>    php5-cgi.  Debian recommends libapache2-mod-php5, but there are still
>    thousands of installations wich report the use of php5-cgi according to the
>    Popularity Contest statistics.

Just to mention, one of the reasons to use php5-cgi instead of
libapache2-mod-php5 is that one can achieve much better privilege
separation (at the significant cost of speed) by using suexec or something
akin to suexec and running scripts via CGI.  That's what we do locally at
Stanford for our general sandbox web service (as opposed to the more
restricted ones that don't allow arbitrary user CGI scripts): we use a
locally-modified suexec that also chroots and acquires file system
credentials specific to the particular web site.  That way, insecure PHP
only permits a compromise of that particular web site and not any other
hosted on the same servers.