Re: RFC: terminate init script when service is ready

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 16:35:38 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 12:35:09AM +0200, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
>> Would it help to have the knowledge that, when the init script terminates, the
>> service is running and ready instead of just running?
>
>This is already what's expected from init scripts.  Any that don't already
>fulfill this requirement - by exiting before the service is ready - are
>buggy.

This is not always easy. For example, IPv6 isn't ready when ifup
exited. We might still be learning prefixes and default routes after
ifup returned control for us. To my knowledge, there is no way to
detedmine whether there is still DAD running for one IPv6 address or
not.

Greetings
Marc