RFC: terminate init script when service is ready

Hello,

since services might depend on other services at boot, they must be sorted.

But after doing a "service foo start", and waiting for its termination, we
don't know if the service has started or not, maybe the process was just
created and is kept waiting by the sheduler, so when the next service is
started the service might not really be there.

systemd offers a solution but it is a complete rewrite of init, it's not
mature nor compatible, and requires services to be patched and to provide
special configuration files.

Would it help to have the knowledge that, when the init script terminates, the
service is running and ready instead of just running?

It would be fairly simple to implement, start-stop-daemon could set an env var
with it's own pid and the service could send a signal after listening to the
socket and before the accept(), that way before running the next service we
would be sure that the service is ready, and the services depending on that
can safely be started.

Just an idea...

bye
--