Re: Recommends for metapackages

On Jo, 12 iul 12, 12:10:29, Gergely Nagy wrote:

> Erm, how have I broken my system? I did not. (Turning Install-Recommends
> off is definitely not breaking my system, FYI.)

It means you are running with a non-default configuration and you should
be aware of the side-effects.

The attitude that Recommends are not important is probably the reason
why:

1. some Maintainers use Depends, where Recommends would be more
appropriate

2. some Maintainers use Recommends, where Suggests would be more
appropriate

Dear Maintainers,

Please don't forget that a Recommends will pull in packages in all but
unusual installations :)
Therefor you may be bloating your user's computer needlessly and make it
really hard for them to clean up afterwards (in case of circular
Recommends packages will be kept installed even if marked as
auto-installed).

Kind regards,
Andrei