Re: Improving our response to "duplicate" packages in Debian

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 08:34:01AM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
> I'd go even further and say that the reason why people start on
> something generally in Free Software projects is to "scratch their itch"
> which in Debian could well mean packaing your favourite piece of
> software.

Has anyone quantized the % of tasks that a DD/DM does that are outside of their
pet projects? Meaning, once they get their itch scratched, how far outside of
their main reason for joining Debian, do they explore? Would it be useful to
game-ify people's efforts outside their 'comfort zone' (eg. a perl packager
working on Haskell, or doing debian-www work) ?
If people just work on their pet projects, is that the most typical behavior
throughout Debian's history? Do people explore more as they become more
comfortable/familiar over a number of years?

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|

Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can read.
		-- Mark Twain