Re: Improving our response to "duplicate" packages in Debian

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 08:41:07AM +0200, Michael Hanke wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 09:24:25AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > We really need to find better ways to involve new users in core teams,
> > and that means removing from our collective consciousness the idea that
> > you come in Debian to package your new favorite piece of software.
>
> I have to disagree -- and I would even make the bold claim that
> "packaging your favorite piece of software" is a very common (if not the
> most common) entry point for _people_ into Debian. One could see the
I'd go even further and say that the reason why people start on
something generally in Free Software projects is to "scratch their itch"
which in Debian could well mean packaing your favourite piece of
software.

I'd be surprised if many newly-minted Debian maintainers would want to
tackle a core project from day one.  There is a lot to learn and just
get used to and I'd also rather that people working on the core stuff
have some idea, as well as some history of doing the right thing.

So if we went down that way we've removed one very big incentive "your
fav project is packaged" and created a disincentive "work on highly
visible project X with all its complicated history".

> "pet projects" as the price we need to pay to make participation in
> Debian very attractive (not even talking about the role that "pet
That's a good way of putting it.  Also who can predict what is really a
pet project.  I bet the first medical related project that was ITP'ed
on Debian people were thinking 'huh, why that here?' and yet I hear now
there is quite a large and vibrant community around this sort of thing.

Some sort of cull for dead projects is definitely a good idea!

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ   http://enc.com.au/          csmall at : enc.com.au
Debian GNU/Linux     http://www.debian.org/      csmall at : debian.org