Re: Improving our response to "duplicate" packages in Debian

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:51:53PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> > - Research how many similar software packages are there actually in Debian, in
> >   what shape they are, whether they have active upstream and downstream
> >   maintainers. Complain about the worst package in that selection instead.
>
> to address Ben's comments and to possibly distill Guus's nice list into
> easily available and digestible post, I have placed an extract of
> it into http://wiki.debian.org/ITP  so we could refine it and possibly
> refer to it.

I'm not convinced that the recent additions to the wiki page reflect consensus
in this debate.  But I appreciate your attempt to summarize this debate on that
wiki page.  Maybe we should revert the recent changes on that wiki page until
there is a more explicit consensus in this debate.  My impression is that
consensus is growing towards what Guus wrote.  But this impression may be
colored by the fact that I happen to agree with what Guus wrote.

Regards,

Bart Martens