Re: [Pkg-sysvinit-devel] Future of update-rc.d in wheezy+1

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 08:02:33AM +0200, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012, Roger Leigh wrote:

> > I don't think there's any question of "forcing", but encouraging
> > file-rc to retain compatibility with the init scripts being used by the
> > distribution.  It looks like the patches are there, they just need
> > testing.  If file-rc could have this in place for wheezy, that would
> > be highly desirable, so that we can work on deprecating runlevel
> > sequence numbers in wheezy+1.
> Nope, there is an experimental patch for insserv to print out sequence
> numbers, to get this working I first have to build my own insserv. And the
> whole file-rc part is - beside of some ideas in my mind - missing.

So the insserv patch is already present, it just needs enabling.  So
10 mins tops to download and rebuild.  I never saw a followup in the
bug above--does the output format suit your needs?  If it does, please
say so.  It could potentially be enabled and uploaded today or tomorrow.

One you have the dependency info, can't you just query that in your
update-rc.d implementation to override the defaults provided to
update-rd.d?  Does it require anything more complex than that?

Example: If you are invoked with
  update-rc.d cron start 89 2 3 4 5 .
then you run
  insserv -s | grep ':cron$'
  ==>
  K:01:0 1 6:cron
  S:04:2 3 4 5:cron

So you just treat that as equivalent to
  update-rc.d cron start 04 2 3 4 5 . stop 01 0 1 6 .
and AFAICS you're done.  i.e. you're just getting the
runlevel info from insserv, rather than from the
command-line options.  Should be quite straightforward.

> So its unlikely to get this working unless insserv (for the patch) and
> file-rc get a freeze exception.

I'm sure we can ask for one.  If it's not done for wheezy, that will
cause problems in removing sequence numbers in wheezy+1, since upgrades
will then cause breakage for file-rc users (either because they are
bitrotted, or because they are no longer present).  I would prefer
that this not drag out over *three* stable releases--since this has
been really needed since before squeeze, and no action has been taken
to date in file-rc.  It's really not in our users' interest to have
file-rc using increasingly buggy sequence numbers.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh