Re: [Pkg-sysvinit-devel] Future of update-rc.d in wheezy+1

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 04:39:38PM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 06/27/2012 03:46 PM, Alexander Wirt wrote:

> >> Hmm, no upload in those two years either. Is file-rc still maintained at all?
> > It is. But more or less in "no-new-features" mode.
> >
> > Implementing the insserv stuff is wishlist for me. Even when I now get
> > forced into it.

I don't think there's any question of "forcing", but encouraging
file-rc to retain compatibility with the init scripts being used by the
distribution.  It looks like the patches are there, they just need
testing.  If file-rc could have this in place for wheezy, that would
be highly desirable, so that we can work on deprecating runlevel
sequence numbers in wheezy+1.

> So might be this could avoided if we switch to something more modern
> like openrc as discussed some weeks ago here - I think the main reason
> file-rc edxists is because its much more easy to maintain than all the
> other crap^Winit systems (including insserv) floating around.

The openrc runscript format is certainly a bit nicer than the LSB
header, but at the same time has some disadvantages.  With the LSB
header/insserv setup, we can read all the headers and have a
dependency graph for all the scripts.  But when you run a script by
hand, or with invoke-rc.d, it can't satisfy dependencies at that
point--it's only at the level of /etc/init.d/rc for runlevel changes.
OpenRC OTOH has no global view but can resolve dependencies
iteratively when running a script directly.  Having both would be
nice, which is what systemd/upstart give us.

I'm still following OpenRC stuff, though I've not had time to get
involved directly yet.  The main point preventing us adopting it is
lack of support for LSB dependencies, which would make upgrades
rather painful.  We could possibly address this by autogeneration of
runscript wrappers for LSB scripts.  Ideally, I'd like for OpenRC to
gain a high level dependency graph view of the system, but it doesn't
look like this is a design that would be particularly popular with
OpenRC upstream.

Regards,
Roger

--