Re: Lintian warning: hardening-no-fortify-functions & version numbering

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:29:56AM +0100, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 03:27:07PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > CFLAGS is an old, long-standing make thing.  CPPFLAGS is newer and I
> > believe was introduced by Autoconf
>
> I don't know the history of CPPFLAGS. It's possible it was introduced by
> Autoconf. However, it is now embedded into the implicit rules of GNU Make,
> so every Makefile that doesn't override the rule for compiling a .c file
> to a .o file uses CPPFLAGS.

I peeked around the Internet a bit, in the hope that adding some more
fact into this pointless discussion will make it stop.

CPPFLAGS was used by the GNU coding standards at least since January 11,
1993, which is when the document was imported into CVS. I failed to find
an older copy, but I'm fairly sure the coding standards are older than
that.

GNU Make documents CPPINFO in Sep 18, 1991. That's about when Autoconf
started (and also approximately when the first release of Linux happened;
heady times).

I think Autoconf is a red herring, whether CPPFLAGS originated there
or not. GNU Make supports it, and has done so for _decades_.

--
I wrote a book: http://gtdfh.branchable.com/