Re: Summary: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 09:54:22PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:43:03PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> >Meanwhile, you've got a non-FHS directory on your system that is of no
> >immediate use.
>
> Your later suggested /store as a user /tmp replacement is a non-FHS
> directory as well.

No, you misunderstand.

As a local sysadmin, I've installed systems with a large scratch space
for users to use under a non-FHS directory. The FHS explicitly allows
that.

But I never said Debian should do the same.

> >>/tmp has always been about 10-20GB big, because I expect users to
> >>store big temporary images in /tmp. I won’t get this with tmpfs and
> >>I would have to train the users to change their behaviour.
> >I believe this is part of our disagreement: I don't think system-wide
> >directories are meant for users to use directly. In other words, I don't
> >think users should put large downloads in /tmp; instead, they should put
>
> Now this thread is the first time someone mentions that /tmp should
> not be used by users but is only for system services. I don’t know
> of any documentation to support this claim.

Neither do I :-)

I *personally* think /tmp should not be used for user data. It's not the
best place for that, for various reasons (impact on the system, lack of
privacy, possible namespace collisions, ...).

But I'm not going to say that people should not use it for that. It's
perfectly fine if you want to do that, it's just not a very good idea.

IMO.

[...]
the following formula:

pi zz a