Re: Migration path for 'Multi-Arch:allowed' packages

* David Kalnischkies (kalnischkies@gmail.com) [120612 18:03]:
> You need to upgrade to support MultiArch,
> but you need MultiArch to upgrade…
> (beside, how would the detection for such a message look like?)

We had discussed to export foreign-arch packages to the arches
packages files at debconf. That would mean in this case that the
amd64-packages file contains the i386-package wine-bin. That would
allow to detect we need multi-arch packages easily (and avoid that
people have to add all i386-packages to an amd64-system just to
install wine-bin).

In order to get that going, we would need to document in the release
notes that certain packages either need to be put on hold prior to
the upgrade in case they're installed or to upgrade apt, aptitude and
dpkg first. Both had been done before.

Andi