Re: Starting services automatically after install

]] Jonas Smedegaard

> Hi Aaron,
>
> On 12-06-01 at 11:22am, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> > Just because I have installed a service package, doesn't mean I want
> > the service immediately running after installation. I would like to
> > spend the necessary time as an administrator to configure and secure
> > the service to my liking, before starting the service.
>
> Debian goal is - as you probably know already - for packages to work
> out of the box.  For daemons this means they are started by default.

The problem here is of course for those that really need a bit of
configuration before they're usable.

[...]

> You can override the default of daemons using policy.d.

A problem with using policy-rc.d is you don't know whether a service
is being started because it's the initial install or if it's because of
an upgrade.  I'll sometimes not want the service to start on initial
installation (because chef is just about to plop its configuration into
place), but if it's an upgrade, then please just restart the service.

--
Tollef Fog Heen