Re: amd64 as default architecture

On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 11:59 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:

> >> As in drop the i386 arch?
> >
> > No, keep i386 userland only.  Though we might consider reducing even
> > that to a 'partial architecture' that has only libraries (similar to
> > ia32-libs today, only cleaner).
> >
> > Ben.
>
> Which basically means i386 is droped but we still support 32bit stuff
> for amd64.
>
> Isn't there still a large demand for i386 in the industry/embedded
> sector?

I don't know; nor whether they use Debian much.  But those are two
sectors not well known for keeping their software updated, i.e. they
might not care about a lack of future releases..

I'm not suggesting there's any need to decide a timescale for this,
anyway.   I'm just proposing that we plan to have that transitional
stage for some time before actually removing i386.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The obvious mathematical breakthrough [to break modern encryption] would be