On "hijacking" (was: Orphaning php-codesniffer, then take it over by the PHP PEAR team)

On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:03:05 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> There is no excuse for hijacking a package, ever.

[...]

Hi Steve,

while I really appreciate both your technical work and expertise as
well as your personal care for Debian, this mail didn't go down well
with me, for two reasons:

- It sounds unnecessarily aggressive to me with threats and recourse
  to positions (TC), statements ex cathedra (e.g. "by definition"),
  and killer phrases (e.g. "empty words");
- regarding the contents, IMO you're painting the issue a bit too
  black-or-white; I think there's neither a common understanding what
  "hijacking" actually means nor a one-answer-fits-all-situations
  answer on this issue.

I'd like to kindly ask you to join a common endeavour to come closer
to a better handling of the recurring tensions between strong
maintainership on the one hand and improving our distribution on the
other hand.

Cheers,
gregor, just wanting to give a feedback

   `-   NP: The Beatles: Sun King