Re: Orphaning php-codesniffer, then take it over by the PHP PEAR team

On 05/30/2012 11:11 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On 12-05-30 at 11:30am, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> We aren't kicking him, we want to have the package team maintained.
>> He's fine to come and join!
>
> You want to play by your rules (file), not his. That's kicking to me.
>

>> This doesn't really qualify for an NMU, nor does the upgrade to the
>> latest upstream version.
>
> *nothing* qualifies for a hijacking.
>
> With hijacking I mean disrespectful takeover.
>
> Either respect maintainership by only NMUing, or respectfully resolve
> with the Debian community that the current maintainer is unfit for the
> task.  You do the latter but instead of the normal use of MIA tracking
> you use Debian freeze as argument for swift takeover. I find it not
> respectful to rush processing like that!

I don't think that hijacking is *that* bad, especially not when its done
by a team which welcomes the original maintainer. It is better to have a
well maintained package than to ait for somebody who collected a number
of NMUs and doesn't react to bug reports for years.

> I am not at all surprised that this is yet another sponsored package
> bit-rotting. Personally I never liked how we allow maintainer to be
> someone not in Debian: There is too great a risk of drive-by
> contributions :-(

You and a lot of others fail to realize that the *SPONSOR* is
responsible for the package. If the maintainer fails to keep the package
in a useful shape it is the sponsor's responsibility to do so. And last
but not least it should be the sponsor's decision to orphan a package if
the maintainer is MIA or not doing his job properly. It is also the
sponsors responsibility to try to figure out if a maintainer is willing
to do his job longer than one upload before sponsoring a package at all.

> ...but we should not improve quality of packages by relaxing the respect
> of the maintainer. We should hold maintainers responsible to their
> actions - and that is only really possible to do with "social pride"
> which is lacking when maintainer is outside of Debian.

Yet another job for the sponsor.