Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 02:48:26PM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Does that make any difference at all?  If an application is unable to
> handle the out-of-space condition, then it will be unable to handle the
> out-of-space condition no matter how big the file system is.  Increasing
> the file system size is futile.  Fix the bug in the application instead.

I think this is totally tangential to the issue. If the effect of moving
to tmpfs is - practically - reducing the size of /tmp, then it is bringing
into range these size issues that may have not been hit by as many people
before.  Yes the issues existed already, but how seriously we should treat
the issue should be a product of many factors, including the likelyhood of
the problem being hit.