Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs is fine

+++ Henrique de Moraes Holschuh [2012-05-27 11:04 -0300]:
> On Sat, 26 May 2012, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> > > Or, it should get clever and not unpack everything. There are plenty of
> > > software that are able to read into archives without extracting from
> > > them.
> > You can't do it for a .tar.gz or a .tar.bz and they are the most common kind
> > of archive.
>
> Yes, you can.  But it is slow (requires one full pass to get the file
> catalog, and another to decompress file data), so you would do it only when
> you expect it to be better than the alternative.
>
> Still, if mc will obey $TMPDIR, it is not at fault.  Does it?

Yes, it does. (I just checked). It even behaves well if the dir
specified does not exist (complains, but starts anyway, gives errors
if you try to open archives with no tmpdir, starts using it as soon as
it appears).

Wookey
http://wookware.org/