Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 04:39:34PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Roger Leigh wrote:
> > I did want to have this for wheezy (#633299).  But I lacked the time
> > and familiarity with the d-i code, and the d-i developers also have
> > higher priorities.
>
> Personally, this d-i developer has as one priority that the system d-i
> installs be broadly useful. d-i has at times needed to frob files in
> /etc to achieve this goal, and I have not ruled out the possibility that
> it might need to do so again...

Note that the initscripts respect all the settings in /etc/fstab,
and this includes noauto.  While it would be possible to set the
default size and enable/disable by editing /etc/default/tmpfs, it's
also possible to configure the size by writing an fstab entry
with the size limit, with or without noauto.

Given the issues with the default size, and that we now use %VM,
it would be nice if the installer could perhaps accommodate the
use of tmpfs by automatically adding a certain size to the
swap size calculation, and if needed adding this to the fstab
entry.

Regards,
Roger

--