Re: /tmp on multi-FS set-ups, or: block users from using /tmp?

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 08:23:31PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
> I work for a company that develops software for shared-hosting
> providers.  I can guarantee you that multi-user is far from a corner
> case.  We employ 135 people and are growing, as is the shared-hosting
> market.
> For my personal purposes, tmpfs on /tmp is fine.  For shared-hosting
> purposes, tmpfs on /tmp is a DoS waiting to happen.  Many web hosting
> companies overprovision their servers (the business is cutthroat) and
> memory is very tight.

Ie, you need swap anyway.

tmpfs for /tmp/ is good no matter if you have enough memory (there won't be
any I/O at all), or if memory is tight (it removes the need for journaling
and barriers).

Real problems in this thread are default settings for allotted space,
complaints about tight memory are red herring.

“This is gonna be as easy as cheating on an ethics exam!”
    -Cerise Brightmoon