Re: /tmp on multi-FS set-ups, or: block users from using /tmp?

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 08:23:31PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
> I work for a company that develops software for shared-hosting
> providers.  I can guarantee you that multi-user is far from a corner
> case.  We employ 135 people and are growing, as is the shared-hosting
> market.
>
> For my personal purposes, tmpfs on /tmp is fine.  For shared-hosting
> purposes, tmpfs on /tmp is a DoS waiting to happen.  Many web hosting
> companies overprovision their servers (the business is cutthroat) and
> memory is very tight.

Ie, you need swap anyway.

tmpfs for /tmp/ is good no matter if you have enough memory (there won't be
any I/O at all), or if memory is tight (it removes the need for journaling
and barriers).

Real problems in this thread are default settings for allotted space,
complaints about tight memory are red herring.

--
“This is gonna be as easy as cheating on an ethics exam!”
    -Cerise Brightmoon