Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:12:03 -0400
Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> wrote:

> Weldon Goree <weldon@b.rontosaur.us> writes:
> > If only ext*fs supported quotas...
>
> Aren't quotas only for non-root and per file system? I think we're
> already safe from non-root filling up / because of the reserved 5%.

Yes, but I was thinking of a multi-user install (that being, after all, what I administer for a living). I like the ability to keep ~fred and ~joe from locking each other out of /tmp (yes, there are ways to do that with tmpfs, but I have to think about them, unlike quotaing a "normal" filesystem). Then again, with virtualization the days of multiple-interactive-user installations may be coming to an end.

Cheers,
Weldon