Re: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:
> On 05/25/2012 05:33 PM, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
>>> What if we're installing Debian on a very small system, and that we
>>> need operations with big files in /tmp?
>>>

>> Increase your swap?
>
> So, in this case, we will have the following scenario:
> - An app writes in /tmp
> - There's not enough space, so the system starts swapping,
> including some apps.
> - The file gets written to /tmp, then gets read
> - Finally, the file gets deleted
> - Then we have randomly very sloppy reaction of apps
> that were swapped out so that the file could be written
> in /tmp.

I believe tmpfs memory is swapped out preferentially, so your scenario
doesn't have to play out like that. However, paging being a complex
process, it's not impossible either. Is that something people are
actually seeing? Because I haven't encountered this.

Best,

   -Nikolaus