Re: amd64 as default architecture

On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 14:03:35 +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> > On 2012-05-20 11:27 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > > Slightly OT but I wanted to mention it for its similarity:
> > >
> > > One thing that should be tested and then documented prominently as yay
> > > or nay in the wheezy upgrade notes is wether one can cross-grade from
> > > i386 to amd64 using multiarch. Wether one can install apt/dpkg:amd64 and
> > > then migrate to a 64bit userspace.
> >
> > Won't work in wheezy, apt does not support crossgradesน.

> There is no real reason to require apt to do the heavy lifting here.
> It would be nice, but it is a one-time action, so a specialized tool wouldn't
> hurt muscle memory too much. Install essentials and apt and you should
> be good to go to proceed as usual, just with a different architecture…

I disagree that this is a one-time action, people might want to
cross-grade specific packages back and forth, not just the entire
installation. Also unsafe cross-grade does not only affect the
Essential set, it also affects anything involved in the boot process,
if for whatever reason the system crashes and apt would have removed
such package the system would be rendered unbootable.

> Even most essentials are easy to crossgrade, the only really difficult one
> is dpkg and it's dependencies as you have to take care of not breaking it
> while it crossgrades itself.

I guess I don't see the additional complexity in the dpkg specific
case, it just needs the shared libraries to be installed which should
be co-installable anyway, and the rest being M-A:foreign.

regards,
guillem