Re: amd64 as default architecture

Le Mon, May 21, 2012 at 12:30:11AM +0100, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> On Sun, 2012-05-20 at 14:02 -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> >
> > I'd love to see that happen someday, but at the moment, new x86 systems
> > still get sold that don't support 64-bit.  Notably, many low-power Atom
> > processors still don't support 64-bit.
>
> Right, though I think these are going into phones now, not netbooks.

Fit-PC sells an excellent fanless mini-PC with an Atom Z510 that does not
support 64-bit instructions.  It consumes 8 W according to the manufacturer,
which is less than some Arm-based plug computers.  I am the happy owner of one
of them and would be quite sad to have to replace it in two years in order to
keep on using Debian Stable on my personal server.

By the way, are there plans to drop the support of the i386 architecture with
kFreeBSD as well ?

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy