Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors@iki.fi> writes:
> Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> writes:
>> And the USB-stick process is not as simple as it might be because you
>> have to find the HD-media files and then _also_ find an iso image to
>> put on. It's no wonder newbs are still downloading CD/DVD images.
>
> You also need to have root access to some machine to create the USB
> media.

No, you don't.  On a default Debian system you need to be a member of
the "floppy" group. From  /lib/udev/rules.d/91-permissions.rules :

 # default permissions for block devices
 SUBSYSTEM=="block",                             GROUP="disk"
 SUBSYSTEM=="block", ATTRS{removable}=="1",      GROUP="floppy"

> This means you can't create the installation media at most
> university or library machines unlike with CDs.

You mean that they allow you to burn a CD but not write to a USB stick?
Sounds like they have a support problem which I don't think Debian can
solve for them.

Bjørn