Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> On 05/11/2012 04:52 PM, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>> Neither the FHS, nor the policy says anything about etc-overrides-lib as
>> far as I can see. Neither pro or con. Do feel free to point me to the
>> relevant section, would I be mistaken.
>>

> Section 10.7.2 of dpm:
>
> "Any configuration files created or used by your package must reside in
> |/etc|."
>
> The policy never talks about etc-overrides-lib configuration files, it
> only tells
> that all configuration files should go in /etc, and there's no
> exception, and
> it is also a "must".

But these are default settings, not configuration files. The
configuration files *are* in /etc. Configuration files are stuff you
want to change, defaults are things upstream (or at worst, the package
maintainer) decides them to be, and the user has no business touching
them. That is what configuration is for, to change the defaults.

That the defaults happen to be files instead of some compiled in thing,
is an implementation detail.

But be my guest, if you take this seriously, please file a bug against
X11 (see xorg.conf.d(5) for a reason) and other packages that do the
same thing systemd does.