Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On 11/05/2012 08:47, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO  Pendant le  journal  télévisé du  jeudi  10 mai  2012, vers  20:29,
> Jean-Christophe Dubacq <jean-christophe.dubacq@ens-lyon.org> disait :
>
>> I do not know about trivially merging changes in the etc-overrides-lib
>> model, but in the current model, I am presented with the dpkg prompt
>> about conffiles for some programs where I added (or changed) only one
>> line (off the top of my head: only the servers list in roundcube, for
>> example), and dpkg does not propose to merge the two files: I am either
>> stuck with keeping my old file, taking the new, or using a shell. All
>> these things are interactive and prevent unattended upgrades without
>> disruption of services.
>
> roundcube uses  ucf for its  main configuration file and  therefore, you
> should have a prompt with possibility to merge.
Never got it. But I can quote other (courier, for example).
Even /etc/default/locale was "updated" (only to include a bunch of
comments). Is it really necessary ?

BTW, for standard workstations, there is less and less need to change
things in /etc. My current quota is 1346 files in /etc for about 30 of
them with local changes. This is quite a bad signal/noise ratio.

If dpkg kept a copy of the original configuration file (to be retrieved
at all times), it would be easier to spot local changes.
I use etckeeper to do that, but it's a bit tiresome to isolate all local
changes (I have to save the diffs somewhere) (and a lost hope if you do
install etckeeper late in the workstation life). My  git-fu is probably
not good enough (I am probably looking for a "pristine" branch and a
rebased "local" branch used in production).
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq