Re: Making -devel discussions more viable (was: switching from exim to postfix)

On 05/03/2012 07:23 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I agree that's a problem too and I share your feeling that it has been
> particularly bad in recent discussions like the init system ones.
To keep on the topic of the init systems, we had Patrick Lauer,
a Gentoo developer who I believe knows quite a lot on the topic,
coming to propose some contributions with OpenRC, and propose
that Gentoo and Debian work together on a nice init system,
which potentially could help us to go our way, not being bound
to components which we don't really control (my readings of this
list makes me believe that both systemd and udev are both going
the way RedHat/Fedora wants, without much consideration for what
we want or our needs, like it or not).

We should have had some enthusiastic replies and constructive
comments on how we could make this happen, how we could improve
OpenRC to fit our needs. Instead, I have read posts criticizing
without knowing. If I was Patrick, I'd be pissed-off and I would
Debian.

I would have happily worked with Patrick on porting OpenRC to
Debian, and have it to understand the LSB headers, etc. But if
some want to fight this idea, I'm not motivated anymore either.

I don't think that the main issue isn't the wording. I'm myself
the author of bad wordings, because I'm not an English native.
For example, instead of replying to Gergely "what point are
you tryint to make", I should have write "it's unclear to me
what technical issue you are referring to". My style was not
willingly aggressive. This happens, and may happen again,
especially when the topic is highly controversial, and
participants are passionate.

But that's not the problem. The issue is that there's no
outcome, and that it's demotivating. If I read others that
what we want to work on isn't a good idea, I will simply
not work on that, and external contributors will run away.

Cheers,

Thomas