Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On 04/27/12 15:54, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 26 avril 2012 à 22:29 +0200, Svante Signell a écrit :
>>> Yes of course, because event-driven init systems have *always* been
>>> *only* about mounting USB devices.
>> Then explain the _real_ reasons for having an event driven boot system!
> BECAUSE THE LINUX KERNEL IS EVENT DRIVEN.
> Full stop.
> End of story.
> Bye bye.
Calm down, take a breath, think about ponies or butterflies or whatever
lets your mind go to the happy place ...

> This must have been explained HUNDREDS of times in the endless threads
> full of stupid messages from stupid dumbasses who don’t understand a
> thing about init systems but don’t want their precious, idiotic, buggy
> init scripts to go away.

Ok, you're mixing a few concepts *and* insulting everyone who tried to
have a technical discussion here.

That's rude. Please don't do that.

Now, let's take these issues apart into simple problems we can
understand and fix:
* buggy initscripts - well, just fix them
* idiotic because no dependencies - that's why some people suggest
OpenRC or maybe upstart if that's your cup of tea. Solved problem, so
don't go on a NIH rampage ...
* event driven - I really (really!) hate repeating myself, but, *sigh*
    what does event driven mean in that context?
(now I feel the need to wash my hands. Don't make me repeat myself again!)
* how does the current combo of udev/mdev and OpenRC not cover that?
* abuse of capital letters - no, caps lock isn't cruise control for cool.

>> Finding new hardware for example can be related to software like hwdata.
>> And why is udev classified as important, what's the use of that on
>> servers?
> Because Linux, in its current architecture, won’t work correctly without
> it.

Blah. The only things that won't work are the two big desktop
environments that have a dependency on libudev / gudev. And that is
easily rectified.

Having a udev-free system is surprisingly easy and without big
surprises. You should try it :)

So, if you want to have a polite discussion among adults, feel free to
join ...

Take care,

Patrick