Re: Node.js and it's future in debian

Patrick Ouellette <pouelle@debian.org> writes:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 03:00:46PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> That community is much smaller, and the binary isn't invoked directly
>> by users, which makes the impact fairly minimal in practice.

> Can you support that assertion with data?

The first part I shouldn't have said, since it's really a distraction.
I'm sorry about that.

For the second, that's what the documentation of the binary says, as
previously posted to this thread.  Is that not the case?

> How many people use Node.js?  I had never heard of it until this came
> up, and I work in IT with web development teams.

Relative numbers really isn't the point, and I'm sorry I distracted us all
with that.  The point is that the node documentation says that it's meant
to be run via inetd, and that's a fairly easy thing to update in a
postinst in a transitional package and be done with it.  The popularity
question is whether Node.js is widely-enough used to warrant the effort,
and I'm fairly sure that's the case based on discussion in Communications
of the ACM articles, professional discussions with colleagues, etc.  Not
to mention that the popcon count for the nodejs package is getting fairly
strong (stronger than nearly all the packages I maintain, that's for
sure).

> FWIW, the bug log from Node.js when they examined the Debian
> installations of each found them to be a similar number as reported by
> popcorn.

That certainly isn't true any more.  nodejs now has almost ten times as
many users reporting in popcon as node.