Re: Removing the MTA from the default install

On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 04:37:31, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 10:02:37AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Is this the right time to do it?

FWIW, de-selecting "standard system" tasksel option (at least when using the
netinstall .iso) results in an installation with no MTA.

> No.  Cron needs some way to report about its jobs, mdadm has to notify
> about failures, etc, etc.

There's been a lot of discussion in the past concerning several MUAs which by
default don't show local mail.  [more on this below]

> On the other hand, going from a full blown MTA like exim to something like
> ssmtp or dma¹ would be a great idea.
>
> [¹]. dma would be far better as it can handle transient failures when
> configured to send to a remote host, however, that cronjob every 5 minutes
> disqualifies it for the job of a laptop MTA.  That's fixable, though.

During testing DMA yesterday I realized that I hadn't set up my laptop to
forward mail externally.  It turned out that the system was trying to notify
me about files existing in /lost+found.  [This is not a surprise, because I'm
using XFS on top of LUKS encryption, and I recently had to hard-power-off the
box.]

I was successful in getting DMA to send mail using SMTP AUTH over TLS to port
587.  [The only snag was that I had to reconfigure Mutt to set
"envelope_from=yes", otherwise the sending email address was invalid, but this
isn't DMA's fault.  :-P]

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle