Re: Removing the MTA from the default install

On Wed, 02 May 2012, Aron Xu wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 10:02:37AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> >> Is this the right time to do it?
> > No.  Cron needs some way to report about its jobs, mdadm has to notify about
> > failures, etc, etc.
> >
> > On the other hand, going from a full blown MTA like exim to something like
> > ssmtp or dma¹ would be a great idea.
>
> Ah, but then we should remove the "Mail server" option from d-i, which
> is almost useless.

No.  We can keep it, it just doesn't need to be selected by default.

However, we really should switch the mail server option to something that
would be suitable for mail servers (i.e. something that doesn't play stupid
games with standards), such as postfix.  I've advocated keeping the
status-quo in the past, but I was not aware of the exim4 brokenness.

I agree that installing "mda" by default on desktop installs would be
useful.  However IME, server installs are much better served by installing
postfix, even when they're not MTAs, let alone when they are MTAs...

  Henrique Holschuh