Re: switching from exim to postfix

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 12:48:10AM -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> I think it would be useful to describe what issue(s) there are concerning
> 8BITMIME and why this is important.  I've found some information [1] about
> this, but it isn't clear what problems are actially *caused* by the lack of
> 8BITMIME support by default in Exim.  Is it just slow sending of outbound
> attachments?

The only issue I found so far is that Postfix will convert mails when sending
to an Exim that does not advertise 8BITMIME (like *.d.o).  Which let me with
the need to handle qp although the mails are initially sent with 8bit (build
logs).

I also assume that Exim does send 8bit mails to non-8bit compliant MTAs (i.e.
not advertising 8BITMIME).  I don't know if that's some sort of violation.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern