Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:11:21 +0300, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala@pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
Dmitry Nezhevenko wrote:
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 02:44:42PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> Wrong. Any program behavior change may require changing custom
> configuration, but such changes need not be accompanied by changes in > the default configuration file. Currently dpkg lacks any mechanism to

You are talking about changing "default" values, right? Other cases

More generally about things not necessarily directly related to any
particular option. For example changing heuristics in the program, which
may require using different options to override (even if the options
themselves didn't change).

> > With "etc-overrides-lib" it's not possible at all...
>
> This is not true either. You could develop tools that work in this case.

Yeah. I agree. It's _currently_ not possible at all.

It is possible the with etc-overrides-libs behavior. Your "_currently_ not possible" is about the current state of the Debian tools, not about
etc-overrides-libs. My original point was exactly that the issues are
due to limitations of the existing Debian tools, not fundamental
problems with the etc-overrides-libs model itself.

It is entirely possible to manage configuration files from dpkg's maintainer scripts (postinst on 'configure' stage, and resp. postrm) as you find fit,
or by means of ucf, and possibly in combination with debconf.

One can ship a bunch of configuration files in /usr/share/$pkg, or
rather /usr/share/doc/$pkg/examples/ to avoid redundancy,
and have them copied to /etc/$whatever or whatever is needed.

(this has been so for more than a decade)