Re: Towards multi-arch: "Multi-Arch: same" file conflicts

On 30/04/12 15:21, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> With libfoo being in /usr/lib/<M-A tuple>/ any endian dependent data
> should be in /usr/lib/<package>/<M-A tuple>/ or /usr/lib/<M-A
> tuple>/<M-A tuple>/ (sorry, did we pick one of them as standard yet?),
> which is usualy a configure option.

I think you mean /usr/lib/<M-A tuple>/<package> for the second option?

If so, then the second option is what you'd naturally get from
./configure --libdir="\${prefix}/lib/$DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH" in an
Autotools package, and that's more or less what debhelper compat 9 does
- so it seems more natural to prefer that one. It's what we'll get in a
large percentage of packages anyway.

> For the moment I don't see any other choice. If this is a frequent
> problem then some dpkg support could be added or some debhelper
> tool. Detecting the endianness at compile time and setting a substvar
> would be relatively easy even now.

DEB_HOST_ARCH_ENDIAN is a dpkg-architecture query variable, just like
DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH, if you need it. (It takes values "big" or "little".)