Re: Definition of _boot_

On 30/04/2012 03:51, Svante Signell wrote:
> - starting up the network: yes if network booting, other things can be
> done later.
> - starting an MTA: no
> - staring sshd: no

On my remotely administered Debian server, these three are *definitely* part of
the boot process, and it's not network booting.

I have no idea where you pulled your definition of _boot_ out from, but my
definition of _boot_ is the process of initializing hardware, and starting up
every service needed to get the machine into its usual running state.

From wikipedia:
> In computing, booting (also known as booting up) is the initial set of
> operations that a computer system performs when electrical power is switched on.
> The process begins when a computer that has been turned off is re-energized, and
> ends when the computer is ready to perform its normal operations.

Read: "ends when the computer is ready to perform its normal operations."

Is a remotely administered machine "ready to perform its normal operations" when:-
1. The network is still down? No.
2. SSH is still down? No.
3. (in the case of a mail server) MTA is still down? No.

Thank you. Now let's please stop this farce.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin