Re: what to do is maintainer is lacking? (was: wine-unstable in Debian)

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:16:56AM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 04:57:14PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > what can we do if the maintainer doesn't admit his lack of time or his
> > lack of skills/knowledge? My understanding is that in Debian, we are
> > stuck, right? I believe that was the message of Chris: we don't really
> > have procedures to take over a package, others than convincing the
> > maintainer.

> We have hijacks, we have the tech committee: weapons of last resort.

"Hijacks" are what they say on the tin.  That's not a tool that should be
part of the toolkit, even as a weapon of last resort.  We have a procedure
for orphaning packages whose maintainers are inactive, and we have the TC to
arbitrate disputes about who should maintain a given package.  Hijacking is
just plain antisocial, and not something that we as a project should
tolerate.