Re: Packaging of new upstream (pre-)releases until wheezy

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:49:06 +0200
Svante Signell <srs@kth.se> wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-04-14 at 21:40 +0200, Martin Bagge / brother wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Apr 2012, Svante Signell wrote:
> >
> > > It seems
> > > like many DMs package new releases/fixes bugs closer to the release than
> > > attending to that now. Of course it is a time/resource issue, but
> > > anyway. Why not package pre-releases in experimental, to squeeze bugs
> > > out before the new upstream release comes out?
> >
> > And what makes you assume that?
>
> I could give several examples of pre-releases and new upstream releases
> that are not yet packaged, that will probably enter into wheezy. But you
> never know what plan the DMs have for their packages, do you?

(That has happened before with other freezes but hopefully we've learnt
not to get into that mess again.)

You can ask individual maintainers / maintainer teams ... file wishlist
bugs for the new version so that everyone can talk about the merits of
uploading or delaying until after the release due to unwarranted
disruptive changes in the new version...

> In order
> not to point at specific DMs I defer to mention which packages I'm
> thinking of.

Bearing in mind your previous question about eglibc, it is probably
worth saying now that a new upstream version of such an important
package is not something which should be rushed merely to get it into
Wheezy. That's a decision for the maintainers in discussion with the
release team.

--

Neil Williams