Re: Standard C Library complance test suite

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> I think in many cases, the issue is not really an "incompetent" legal
> department per se, but a culture of risk-avoidance combined with a legal
> department that doesn't really gain much either way and incompetent
> high-level management (in the sense that they don't spend a lot of time
> listening to those in the trenches).

It's always worth remembering that the job of a legal department is to
keep a company from being sued.  Not to enable things that people think
are cool, not to help the company participate in a larger ecosystem, not
even to make lives easier for people in the company.  The legal department
has much more in common with the HR department than anyone in an
engineering role.

> And sometimes things are rather more sinister (e.g. Apple's crusade
> against the GPL)...

GPLv3 specifically, and I'm fairly sure that's all about patents.