Re: Bugs for packages which don't exist anymore / missing maintainer

* Gergely Nagy <algernon@madhouse-project.org>, 2012-04-01, 13:02:
1) In general, what should the maintainers do to prevent such cases? I guess that one could reassign the bugs from the old package to the new one, but it seems obvious that this can be oversought easily, especially for libpackages where SOVERSION changes often. Is there any automatic mechanism in place to try to prevent this?
Not that I know of, no. For packages that change name reasonably often (or well, most library packages anyway), I'd think it would be best to reassign the reports to the source package upon receipt, so that it won't get lost.

It should be noted that in many cases, thanks to version tracking, we do have information about which source package a bug was originally assigned to. This should allow reassigning lots of such bugs semi-automatically. Any volunteers to write the code? :)

--
Jakub Wilk