Re: Bugs for packages which don't exist anymore / missing maintainer

"Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo" <manuel.montezelo@gmail.com> writes:

> So I have several related questions:
>
> 1) In general, what should the maintainers do to prevent such cases?
> I guess that one could reassign the bugs from the old package to the
> new one, but it seems obvious that this can be oversought easily,
> especially for libpackages where SOVERSION changes often.  Is there
> any automatic mechanism in place to try to prevent this?

Not that I know of, no. For packages that change name reasonably often
(or well, most library packages anyway), I'd think it would be best to
reassign the reports to the source package upon receipt, so that it
won't get lost.

One thing that comes to mind, is that when a binary or source package
gets removed from the archive (either manually, or automatically), the
appropriate piece of software could mail the maintainer of the old
package notifying him that some of the bugreports may become orphaned.

> 2) What to do now with all of these bug reports?  Reassign them to the
> related source package in unstable?  Contact QA? Nothing at all?

The best course of action would be to check whether the reported issue
is still valid, and reassign to the appropriate (source) package if it
is, -done@ otherwise.

If in doubt, contact QA.