Re: Re: Preinstalled package manager(s) for PCs (wheezy)

Hi Goswin,

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Jon Dowland<jmtd@debian.org>  writes:

>  On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 02:30:37PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>>  Shouldn't there rather be a base-desktop that both KDE-desktop and
>>  GNOME-desktop depend on? A meta package that depends on everything any
>>  desktop should have.
>
>  I'm not sure if that's the right direction of dependency, conceptually.
>
>  The philosophy of (at least) the GNOME metapackages is (I think: but I
>  am not (yet) a Debian/GNOME team member) that they provide what upstream
>  GNOME provides.  So depending on a 'base-desktop' package would work
>  against that philosophy.
>
>  (It might turn out to be the most pragmatic thing to do.)

Gnome-desktop, not gnome. Gnome-desktop would depend on base-deskop and
gnome and maybe a few more gnome-ish things that aren't in gnome.

I'm not sure what you mean by "GNOME-desktop" / "KDE-desktop" as opposed to "gnome". But task-gnome-desktop already depends on task-desktop. This is a tasksel task, but it's also a real package now (obviously, the advantages of tasksel should be integrated with regular package managers at one point, and we should merge tasksel tasks and regular metapackages).