Re: dpkg-buildpackage now sets DEB_BUILD_HOST etc for you?

+++ peter green [2012-03-29 20:06 +0100]:
> >Now, you can build packages without using dpkg-buildpackage by calling
> >rules directly, and in that case the rules file would need to call
> >dpkg-architecture, but someone would have to convince me that that was
> >an interface worth supporting for non-native builds
> The big reason it's worth supporting IMO is that with most packages you
> can "resume" after a failld build by manually running debian/rules
> build. When fixing compile errors in a large package I don't want to
> have to restart the build from scratch after every file I fix.

That is indeed a very useful use case (and the only one I use rules
for directly, apart from 'clean' quite often).

But it's not hard to do 'dpkg-buildpackage -Tbuild' to get exactly the
same effect but with the dpkg-buildpackage environement set-up done
too. So if we decided that cross-building was only expected to work
via dpkg-buildpackage -a<arch>, you wouldn't be unduly inconvenienced,
would you?

Is there some important subtle difference here that I am missing?

Wookey
http://wookware.org/