Re: dpkg-buildpackage now sets DEB_BUILD_HOST etc for you?

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 09:58:41PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 19:10:05 +0100, Wookey wrote:
>
> > Should a package depending on this behaviour build-dep on a particular
> > dpkg version? As it already works in build-essential in stable do the
> > same rules apply as essential packages in stable (i.e no explicit
> > dependency required)? That would be consistent. Maybe it's been doing
> > it since forever?
> >
> A package may not depend on this behaviour.  The interface to build a
> package is still debian/rules, not dpkg-buildpackage.

While this might be the formal policy, isn't dpkg-buildpackage the
/de-facto/ interface?  AFAIK we don't actually test that building
via debian/rules alone works, while we do test that building via
dpkg-buildpackage works since this is what most packages build for
upload, and all packages built on the autobuilders, use.

Would there not be some advantage to making dpkg-buildpackge the
interface for building?  (Not dropping the debian/rules interface,
of course.)  This would permit the automatic setting of all the
host- and build-related variables without requiring every package
to also set them by hand.  It would of course still be possible
to build using debian/rules directly, but it wouldn't be required
to set the flags.

Without commenting on whether or not this is a good idea, isn't
this basically the status quo already, given that most packages
don't test direct usage of debian/rules, and manual setting of
the various arch- and build-related variables is inconsistent?

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh