Re: On init in Debian

Le Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:07:43AM +0100, Svante Signell a écrit :

> Speaking about buggy software: Today the libpcre3 update broke a lot of
> functions on my computer, including start of gdm3. And since I'm using
> the network manager for ethernet (some stuff does not work without it),
> it was not started while in the console, i.e. no network connection.
> Trying to edit /etc/network/interfaces (yes I knew which file to edit)
> and uncomment the static IP address setting with emacs it failed too.
> Fortunately nano worked, an I could do the changes to enable ethernet to
> upgrade the buggy libpcre3 by the NMUed one. This is a true story (maybe
> some of you have been hit by this bug too), and it tells the if you are
> not in X windows mode no network.

In the end, what you are telling us here is that when one package broke the
system, you repaired it by replacing the package.  You did not need to debug
the broken code itself.

Among different possible solutions, you chose a repair strategy that relies on
the broken system to still have an internet connection, and extrapolate from
that story to the discussion on init systems.  I think that this extrapolation
is hasty, as there are equally good repair stories, for instance booting on a
rescue system, which would give a different message.  Note also that by running
unstable, and by editing a debian-specific configuration file, you already put
your scenario on the "expert" side.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy