Re: On init in Debian

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 23:32:25 -0700, Allison Randal <allison@lohutok.net> wrote:
> In this case, the options I see being weighed are whether to support
> sysvinit, upstart, or systemd, or some combination.
> So, the contributor agreement is a factor, but not the only factor (or
> even the primary factor).

There is a big difference between supporting the use of something as an
alternative, and choosing it as a default -- I'd expect that we're able
to support the use of all of these to a greater or lesser extent, but
the contributor agreement ensures that many people will vehemently
resist its adoption as the Debian default, which is almost certainly
enough to ensure it won't happen no matter if upstart were 1000 times
better than every alternative in every dimension (and if that were the
case I'd imagine we'd fork it to route around the problem, as with ice*)

Cheers, Phil.