Re: On init in Debian

On 03/16/2012 06:50 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

> Which decision in particular, and by who?

Anthropologically speaking, folkmoot is a very different system than
top-down rule, but both are among a large variety of systems humans use
to collaboratively build things larger than a single individual. In this
case, the options I see being weighed are whether to support sysvinit,
upstart, or systemd, or some combination.

Open discussion is an important part of the moot process (one of the
great strengths of having many brains, to examine all angles), but I'd
say the "decision" is more a matter of who volunteers to do what.

Does that sound about right?

> If the Canonical contributor agreement were no longer required for
> contributions to a work, then depending on that work for core Debian
> features would be significantly less controversial, IMO. Does that
> answer your question?

Yes, thanks. So, the contributor agreement is a factor, but not the only
factor (or even the primary factor). Other parts of the thread explore
the technical obstacles more deeply. The paradox is, if the contributor
agreement *were* the only obstacle for adoption of upstart, there would
be a stronger case for no longer requiring it.

> Thanks for explicitly raising the possibility for discussion.

Thanks,
Allison